The government has outlined its proposals to improve Switzerland's national road network.This content was published on January 17, 2018 - 14:45
- Deutsch Sichere Geldquelle für Schweizer Strassennetz (original)
- Español Una fuente segura para financiar la red vial suiza
- Português Como financiar as rodovias suíças?
- 中文 公路融资，箭在弦上
- Français Comment assurer le financement du réseau routier suisse?
- عربي مصدر تمويل مضمون لشبكة الطرق السويسرية
- Pусский Надежное финансирование дорог — предмет референдума
- 日本語 道路インフラ 基金設立で財源確保なるか
- Italiano Una fonte di finanziamento sicura per le strade svizzere
By 2040 about a fifth of the network is forecast to be stretched beyond current capacity, which is why, according to Transport Minister Doris Leuthard, significant investments are needed.
The number of vehicles on Swiss roads has increased by more than half since 1990. The total number of vehicles registered in Switzerland in 2015 was 5.9 million, in a country with a population of 8.4 million.
The Federal Council on Wednesday approved more than CHF2 billion ($2.07 billion) for road projects in central and western Switzerland over the next couple of years, and a further CHF11 billion by 2030.
Leuthard also said that plans to increase a petrol tax would be postponed by about five years .
The funds for road infrastructure were approved in a nationwide vote last year.
As part of the plans, the Federal Council has also asked parliament to approve money for improvements to the Gotthard road tunnel - a key north-south artery through the Alps.
This article was automatically imported from our old content management system. If you see any display errors, please let us know: email@example.com